100 Creative Art Topics, Ideas, and Questions Worth Exploring
There are various art topics to choose from when writing an essay. The complexity of the different genres and art styles makes it more exciting to pick one that fits your passion. If you enjoy thinking outside the box, then the creative art topics, ideas, and questions highlighted in this article are your best bet. Our list contains unique ideas from different eras, art themes, and bibliography topics from ancient to modern civilization.
History Art Topics
Art is constant reference to history. It is a means to learn from the past and utilize those lessons in the present. Art history provides numerous art topics that you can write about without being confined to one idea.
As such, you have a wide selection of periods, art movements and, monumental artworks at your disposal. Below is a collection of interesting art topics. These ideas will help you narrow down your selection and lead you on your way to writing an outstanding essay.
What Are Some Good Topics for Art?
- The beauty standards of renaissance women
- The techniques and history of printmaking
- What is the relationship between art and philosophy?
- Why did Egyptians use the same art canon for three centuries?
- Primeval music instruments
- Medieval France and significance of stained glass
- The return of cultural property in African countries after World War II
- History of Venetian carnival masks
- Mayan culture's portrayal of art
- Sculpture in Ancient Greece
- Similarities between Mesoamerican and Egyptian pyramids
- Renaissance art and the importance of Christian symbols
- Leonardo da Vinci's biblical motives
- The origin of Greek theatre
- Explain the philosophy of art
Art Topics of Artist Bibliographies
Bibliographies are interesting components in art history thesis topics. They uncover renowned artists' personal stories, childhoods, struggles, and their professional lives.
The artists’ their thinking patterns are highlighted and give you an outlook on their perceptions. Here is a collection of notable artists through the centuries whose works are memorable, perfect for an art essay.
- William Blake
- Francisco Goya
- J. M. W. Turner
- Eugene Delacroix
- Mikhail Lomonosov
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Thomas Gainsborough
- Katsushika Hokusai
- E. T. A. Hoffmann
- Grandma Moses
- Jacques-Louis David
- John James Audubon
- Marie Tussaud
- Etienne Falconet
- Gustav Klimt
- Hilaire Germain Edgar
- Rabindranath Tagore
- Frederic Remington
- Auguste Renoir
- Georges Seurat
- Paul Cezanne
- Alfred Sisley
- Edgar Degas
- Thomas Lawrence
- John Everett Millais
- Adolf Menzel
- Vincent Willem Van Gogh
- Claude Manet
- Henri-Émile-Benoît Matisse
- Pablo Picasso
- Louise Bourgeois
- Frida Kahlo
- Marcel Duchamp
- Andy Warhol
- Judy Chicago
- Cindy Sherman
- Henry Spencer Moore
- Georgia Totto O'Keeffe
- Alberto Giacometti
- Emily Carr
- David Smith
- Vanessa Bell
- Frank Lloyd Wright
- Benny Andrews
Art History Research Paper Topics on Different Epochs
- Rococo Interior design
- Significance of Denis Diderot's critiques of French art in the 18th Century
- Baroque and Rococo art designs
- Impact of the industrial revolution on art development
- Neoclassicism sculpture
- Renowned composers of First Viennese School
- The criticism of French art
- Eugene Delacroix's paintings
- Marquis de Sade's contribution to the literature
- Baroque's architecture
- Significance of the carving of the Veiled Virgin by Giovanni Strazza
- The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh
- Victorian beauty standards through art
- Edgar Degas' dancing paintings
- Monet's Sunrise
- Evolution of impressionism paintings
- Correlation of French caricature and Goya's prints
- Significance of Francisco de Goya's paintings.
- Artist's interpretation of Victorian beauty
- Basics of futurism
- The Kiss by Gustav Klimt
- Jackson Pollock's art
- Frida Kahlo's paintings
- Jasper Johns Flag
- Evolution of mannerism in Pablo Picasso's paintings
- Surrealism in Salvador Dali's sculptures
- Art Deco and Art Nouveau.
Controversial Art Topics
Some forms of art are debatable and highly contested. The list below will give you an interesting viewpoint of some controversial art history research topics that you might want to consider.
- Is abstract a type of art
- Are kids allowed to draw horror art?
- Can you appreciate art without loving it
- What is the purpose of art?
- Art is elemental to school education
- What is the difference between art and design?
- Is art necessary
- How does art affect the world?
Art Themes from Different Culture
Perhaps you want to diversify and write an essay far from the norm, but you are unsure of interesting art topics. Here is a list of various art themes that will narrow your focus and make everything easier.
- Styles used in Japanese calligraphy
- Significance of Henna patterns in the Middle East
- Maori culture
- How does American culture impact the world?
- Hindi films and Bollywood
- Pop culture music
- Fashion in Eastern society
- American vs. Bollywood dance
Even though you have a comprehensive list of art history thesis topics to choose from, you might still feel stuck. If you are still uncertain, here are a few tips and tricks on how to write an essay once you have your art research paper topics.
How Do You Write an Art History Research Paper?
- Formal analysis – consider what your senses, such as hearing or seeing, pick up on the piece of art you are tasked to write about for your art essay.
- Research – any good art writing uses factual information on the art themes, the artist, and any cultural significance. It is fundamental that you dedicate sufficient time to conducting in-depth research on your topic.
- Comparative analysis – works of art are linked to the artists who create them or compared to other art pieces. To enrich your paper, it is good to collect all the information you have gathered. Connect the initial formal analysis, the art themes, and cultural importance with details on the artist. You can also add the relevant background information for inferences.
There you have it. An extensive list of creative art topics, ideas, and questions worth exploring as well as some tips and tricks to get you started. Still feel uncertain? Contact the professional writers of Homework Owls, who are always ready to assist at a reasonable price.